Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Miraculous, Healing Potato, Carrot and Broccoli Soup for the Sick Soul

Everyone seems to be sick lately, and I am betting the doctors got the vaccine wrong when guessing which flu-strand would be the worst this year based on the flu trends in the U.S. Last week, I started getting a sore throat, lost my voice and then went through various stages of aches, slight fever, and runny nose. Through either my denial that I could not get the flu again because I've had it once before in my life (I equate the flu to the chicken pox) or through my miraculous soup and sleeping skills, I ended up with a mild sinus infection that only lasted a few days. So for those of you that think the soup was the cure or may simply want some low-calorie, low-fat, delicious soup, follow this very easy recipe below:

Healthy Potato, Broccoli, and Carrot Soup


Serving: 14 servings of 2 cups each 
Calories: 232
Fat: 3g 
Carbs: 45g

Ingredients:
  • 5 Idaho or Yukon Gold Potatoes
  • 20 Baby Carrots
  • 1 Bag Frozen Broccoli 
  • 64 Ounces Low Sodium Chicken Broth
  • 2 Cups Milk
  • 1 Shallot
  • 1 Yellow Onion
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • Salt, Pepper, and White Pepper

1. Peel potatoes. Slice into 1/8 inch thick pieces, and then cut into fourths. 
2. Thinly dice carrots. 
3. Microwave broccoli and dice and set aside until later.
4. Dice shallot and saute in butter with garlic in a large pot for 2-4 minutes. 
5. Add in potatoes, carrots, onions and chicken broth and bring to a boil for about 30-45 minutes. The potatoes should get to the point that they fall apart when poked with a fork.
6. Blend until smooth with an immersion hand blender.
7. Mix in diced broccoli, milk, and salt, pepper and white pepper to taste (I went pretty heavy on all three).
8. Continue to cook on medium-high for 30 more minutes.
9. Serve up this miracle healing soup in a big bowl with garnishments. I put 75% fat-free cheddar and fat free sour cream in one bowl, diced tomatoes in another bowl, chives in a third.  The possibilities are endless (bacon and cheese would also be divine).

*You could also do this recipe in a crockpot by following the recipe up to step four, then transfer the shallots, garlic and butter to the crockpot, add the potatoes, carrots, onion, and chicken broth, and letting it sit overnight or while you're at work for 8-10 hours on low heat. Then when ready to eat, turn up the heat, blend it, add the final ingredients, and serve.


Eat two bowls per day for several days, and you'll be better in no time (or at least well fed)! 

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A DOCTOR and completely made all of this up, including the recipe and purported healing qualities. The only thing I will stand behind is this soup is delicious, and that I entered the ingredients into a recipe website to determine the fat, calories and carbs. I wish you happy cooking, eating and speedy healing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment